From the Lake Leadership
Big Swan Lake Association of Todd County (BSLA) was formed in 1985, and Big Swan Lake Improvement District (BSLID) was established in 2006. These two organizations partner with each other to protect and improve Big Swan Lake.
Both organizations have the same common goals:
- Protect and improve the lake water quality
- Protect and improve the lakeshore
- Protect and improve all public and non-public waterways flowing into the lake
- Protect and improve the fishery
- Protect and improve the lake recreational value
- Communicate, educate, and involve its members in reaching these goals
- Partner with relevant government and private agencies to further achieve these goals
In 2015, BSLA property owners received the Todd County Soil & Water Conservation District (TCSWCD) “Land Stewardship Award”. Only one lake entity or individual in Todd County receives this award each year which is a testament to all of us, as lake property owners, in taking steps available to us to protect our lake. We, as lake property owners, need to recognize and thank our two past officers George Brezinka and Denny Harder, along with their respective board members, for all that they have done for us during their terms in office.
Our challenges today and in the years to come will require focus on the following specific objectives:
- Work with Todd County Soil and Water to implement Aquatic Invasive Species education and inspections at public and private lake landings
- Implement the 2015 Lake Water Quality Study recommendations
- Partner with TCSWD, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and the DNR to successfully complete the lake Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) study
- Implement the Minnesota Buffer Law Requirements for 2017 and 2018 for our lake
- Develop & implement a plan to increase desired fish populations in our lake
- Continue our annual treatment program to control current and future invasive plant species
Now, more than ever, the Big Swan Lake Association and the Big Swan Lake Improvement District need your help and financial support to preserve, improve, and protect Big Swan Lake for future generations.
We “Thank You” for all that you have done in the past!